LEONI History

The history of our company is marked by tradition and rapid progress. The company's foundation stone was laid in the Middle Ages. At the close of the 1980s a speedy development started which turned a medium-sized German company into a multinational group within less than a decade. The most important stops on our way to become a global player can be viewed here.

01


1569

Anthoni Fournier in Nuremberg founded the first workshop for the manufacture of Lyonese Wares.

1621

Fournier's sons established other workshops for the manufacture of Lyonese Wares south of Nuremberg, including one in Roth
This gave rise to several other companies

  • Johann Balthasar Stieber & Sohn, Nuremberg
  • Johann Philipp Stieber, Roth and
  • Vereinigte Leonische Fabriken, Nuremberg

1928

Production of enamelled wire

193102

Change of company name to Leonische Drahtwerke AG, Nuremberg. Production of rubber sheathed cables

1943

Production of PVC insulated cables

1948

Production of power cords (cord sets)

1956

Start of cable assembly manufacturing

1967

Kitzingen plant is built (cable harness production)

03

1969

Bad Koetzting plant is built (enamelled wire production)

1977

Foundation of the subsidiary Câblerie de Sousse, Tunisia (cable harness production)

1978

LEONI sales office set up in France


1981

Takeover of the former Grundig plant in Neuburg/Donau, Germany (cable assembly)

198304

LEONI sales office set up in UK

1985-2017

Foundation of the subsidiaries and plants worldwide:
Germany, China, Slovania, Slovakia, Serbia, Poland, The USA, Mexico, Italy, South Africa, Belgium, Ukraine, Turkey.

2008

LLC «LEONI Zavolzhie» began its activities in Gorodets. It had the name LLC «Lik-Avto» and was located in the territory of LLC «IVK».


06LEONI makes a promising entry into the Russian vehicle market with the acquisition of the international wiring systems division of the automotive supplier Itelma and the supply of 40 percent of the cable requirement to utility vehicle producer KAMAZ in Naberezhnye Chelny.

2012

The transfer to the new building in Zavolzhie (№6 former building of ZMZ) was implemented. This building was refurbished and improved. As the result: new production area, clean and bright rooms.

 


 

LEONI history video


LEONI corporate video